Thursday, February 7, 2013

Let's make a Shopping Bag for Valentine's Day


I just finished this shopping bag a few days ago, I've done this kind of bags before but this time I took pictures to share with you the tutorial.
 

 
Actually I don't know whether to say Shopping bag or if there is another
name for this type of bag, the fact is that is a bag unlined but where the
interior is neat, to achieve this I used the French seam. It is a bag that
is quick to make, is practical, and we can carry this practical bag in our
handbag.
 
 
There are two ways to do it, either by cutting two fabric rectangles or one.

First you have to determine the final measure of your shopping bag, my
shopping bag measures 13 "wide by 17" in length. If these measures are
appropriate to you, then you can follow the steps that I used in my
tutorial, but I want you to know that with my explanations you can make a
shopping bag with the measure you want.
 






1) Cutting the fabric
 
If we do it with a single rectangle of fabric



a) The width
 
The width of your bag +1"
 For  my shopping bag, my final measure is 13" +1" = 14 "
 
b) The  length
 
the length of your bag, two times + 4"
My measures , 17"+ 17" + 4"= 38"
 Briefly I will cut a piece of fabric of 14 "x 38"
 
 
 
If we do it with two rectangles of fabric
 
a)The width
 
The width of your bag +1"
My final measure, 13" +1" = 14 "
 
b) The  length

The length of your bag + 3"
In my case, 17" + 3"= 20"
I will cut two rectangles of fabric that measure 20" x14"
 
 
2) Ironing the top edge
 
Fold the top edge 1" down, iron, fold again and iron.
Leave as it and move to the next stage.
 



 
3) Sewing ( the French seam)
 
Lay your fabrics wrong sides together  matching raw edges.
Do not forget to open the top edge that we had previously ironing, I just
ironed it for future reference later, when I will do the sewing of the
straps, make sure that all the raw edges matching!!
Pin edges together and sew with 1/4" seam, then trim seam allowance to
1/8", don't cut into your stitches, press.

 
I decided to use my serger

 
 
 
4)Turn inside out

Turn the bag inside out , now  the fabrics will be right sides together,
press and stitch in a 1/4" seam,  you have to enclose the trimmed seam
allowance. Since I decided to use a serger, I have no need to trim the
edges
 

 
I want to share a tip with you , look at this photo, is the Edge Stitching
Foot, this is a foot that I use regularly. This foot has a flange on the
side for guiding the fabric, we just have to adjust the needle position and
we will get perfect seams along the edges of the fabric.In this case I
position it to sew, to 1/4'' from the edge.
 
 
I have to confess that I use this foot  all the time !
 
(Back to our project
Turn the bag right side out.
I cut two straps of 21 ", and fold at 3/4" from the edge.
 
 
 
Now the explanation it will be easier with the photos, remember that we had
ironed the top edge twice, ok, now that the french seam is finished, we will
re-fold the top edge twice and secure it with pins.
 


The next pictures will show you , how I put the straps on the top edge:
 


 
I put the straps 3 "from the sides
 
 
Once both straps are fastened to the front and the back, we will sew.


 
While this shopping bag is easy to do, try to write a tutorial for two ways
to do it, it  was a bit difficult for me. I added several photos to help you to
understand, hope I succeeded!
 
These shopping bags were a commission for the deaf center who frequent my
parents, that's why I embroidered the letters of the sign language. They
are red because they are a gift to people who frequent the center, on
valentines day.
I decided to give them a festive touch and made ​​some tags to decorate them.
 
 
I do not want to bore you with more explanations, but I want to share with
you the way I did the tags, here are photos I took , I think it will give
you an idea about the steps that I did.
To begin, I used the corrugated board, which comes in boxes to protect
fragile materials and here you will see the steps...
 


 

 
 
 
 
 
In the other hand ,I'm having fun with my memories scrapbooking software, I
made another photo montage.
Do not forget that the giveaway for this software remains open until
February 13, it is so easy to use and when it's free why not take
advantage?
 
 
The link where you will find the information  for this giveaway is here.
 
 
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, I tried to do the best I could. If there
are spelling mistakes, I apologize, I also tried to do my best, my first
language is Spanish and I learn English with all of you.
I look forward to your comments.
Have a nice day!

Marisa :)
 
 
 



15 comments:

Maria said...

Your shopping bags are beautiful and well thought out and I love the tags you made also. I'm saving this project for a future date when I have more time. I really need to make a few of these. They are so much better than plastic bags and easy to slip into a handbag. Thanks for taking the time to share the tutorial with us.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Beautiful bags and a fabulous tutorial, Marisa!!! Gorgeous little cards, too. I'll have to check out the Edge foot for my machine... looks handy.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful, beautiful bags and your tutorial is fantastic Marisa! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Marisa your bags are lovely. The embroidery is great. I love those tags too. So nice of you to make a tutorial as well.

Notions from Nonny said...

I am always collecting store bags!! These are great!!!

Stopping by from Delicate Construction.
Nonny
www.notionsfromnonny.blogspot.com

Kara @ Petals to Picots Crochet said...

Such a great bag! Love the tags too! New follower :)

Wendy said...

the instructions are perfect and very easy to understand. Well done. The bag is delightful too

Anonymous said...

The bags re great. I really lke the idea of the french seam inside to finish the seams. Tags are a great idea. thank you for sharing. Maureen

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

Such nice bags............Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com



Heather371 said...

Love these and the tag to boot. Too cute!

Heather
heather's haven

Unknown said...

Oh, your bags are beautiful!! Love your blog, too! Your newest follower from Fluster Buster. :)

Kathy @ www.lifeonlakeshoredrive.com

Margarita Korioth said...

They are lovely bags!

Cocalores said...

What a cute idea - and I love the sign language on them! I have no idea if I have that edge stitching foot, I will have to check my sewing machine now because if I do, I'll definitely put it to use now! =)

Anja @ cocalores.blogspot.com

Mandy @HKCHIC said...

Wow, i am soooo impressed! such great tutorial too! I love love love love love the bag (i guess u can call it tote bags too) and the tags! wow, I have to make some of these! a friend's birthday is coming up, this is great!

Helen said...

A great tutorial,with good photos to help the novice.Well done!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...