Monday, September 17, 2012

Let's sew a textile cuff using a pair of old jeans.


Whenever I do the sewing hems of the jeans for me or for my family, I have the habit of saving those snippets, always with the idea that I'll use them for something. This time I decided to turn them into a textile cuff.




With this project we can use every little scrap of fabric that we have saved and do not really know what to do with, I think you already know me, so you know that I am able to use up the little ones to create something. This is a confession, yes! I love using scraps,  but I think you already  know that.

I found these pieces of hem jeans and decided to give them another life
 
I also decided to get my embellisher machine out of the closet and putting it to work.
The first thing I did was remove the side seam.
 
 
Right now I take my wrist measures, I add two inches and cut the ends.
If you are going to make one for you, you have to  decide whether you want a closed cuff or a loose cuff. You have to think what kind of closure will be placed and from there cut the required length
 
I chose two different pieces, I put up the smallest piece,  and I sat in front of my embellisher machine to start my creation.
 
I decided to add threads
 
Before starting the felting, I placed a small piece of watersoluble stabilizer above the threads
 
I started using my embellisher machine
 
I added other pieces of fabric on top and sides and continue felting
 
I started auditioning decorative elements, once I decided, which one I liked more, I've sewn in place
 
At the extremes of the cuff I decided to put a few pieces of leather scraps, leftovers that I have from an old coat .... I recycle everything
On those pieces of leather I'll add a button and a buttonhole and that will make my closure, but you could use snaps,a button and a loop, it is your choice.
 
I kept adding decorative elements


 
You can add what you want, beads, chains...,the secret is to auditioning the different materials,  one trick I have is that I select some elements and take a photo, change for others and took another shot, and finally, looking at the photos I took, I made ​​the decision to which of them  I like more.





To make the back side, I use the other half of the jeans, and I hand-stitched.

 

And here's my completed piece!! I'll show you some close up, I love the result and I'm ready to start making a few more!







I hope you've enjoyed these explanations and hopefully you will be encouraged to make one.
I would love to see your photos.
 
In the meantime I am finishing the pillowcase for my bedroom, I can not wait to finish them and share them with you, my only problem is time. Where does the time go?
 
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, I always appreciate your comments and I always hope that this blog continues to grow with new followers, do not hesitate, you are welcome!!
 
I'm linking this textile cuff to Skip To My Lou , to Positively Splendid, Five Days...5 Ways, Threading My Way,  and to Creating my way to Succes, Link party.

Have a happy sewing day!!!!!
Marisa

 



11 comments:

Maria said...

Amazing what you did with all those scraps and bits and pieces. You've just proven that nothing should ever be thrown away. Thanks for sharing.

Squirrels do Sew said...

Marisa
What a lovely, lovely piece of "art"
Lotta

Pam @Threading My Way said...

What you have done with little scraps is AMAZING, Mairssa!!! You are very, very creative!!!

Anonymous said...

What a timely tutorial! Seems cuffs are the accessory. Thanks,
Diane

Tammy said...

You have created a unique piece of jewelry. I really like the way that you felted different kinds of fabric as well as threads. I would love to try that. Don't have an embellisher but I do save thread snippets from machine embroidery. :-)

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

That's an amazing work of art from a bit of blue jean scraps. Beautiful job.

Peggie said...

I very rarely find ideas for the embellisher and this one is so nice! I have my embellisher and have been a little creative with it, but not as much as I would like. I love this idea! Thank you so much!

Tania Pelletier said...

VERY cool! I love making cuffs but never thought of using old jean scraps! Hmmm... I'm just sure I have some in my fabric scrap stash too! Thanks for the inspiration!

Tania

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to come up with a gift idea for an artsy young friend. Something like this would be perfect. I'd never even heard of an embellishing machine until two days ago. How fitting I should get to see what someone does with one now!

Brandi said...

I love this! I am adding this project to my to do list!

Kim said...

Such an amazing cuff; very funky! I love all the embellishments you have added.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...